Developing a Heart for Deep Christian Love
As the Christians departed there was a great grief on both sides.
A Courageous Heart
• Acts: 20:22-24 -Paul was giving his life to teach the gospel. Real love and affection hurts sometimes.
• 2 Cor. 2:4 – Paul had a great love for this church.
• 2:Cor. 11:7-11 – Paul testified that God knew he loved the Corinthians. Love can hurt. Step out to love one another.
A Pure Heart
• Acts 20:26 – Paul had an honest heart
• 2 Cor. 2:17, 4:1-2 – Our hearts are sincere
• 1 Peter 1:22 – Love deeply without hypocrisy. Get rid of sin so you can love purely
A Caring Heart
• Acts 20:31 – Paul had cared deeply and wept often
• 2 Cor. 12:14-15 – Paul likened them to his children. Are we willing to find out about others to have a caring relationship? Do we want to find out where they are coming from?
• 1 John 3:17 -Keep an open heart.
• Heb. 4:15 – Jesus sympathizes with us
A Diligent Heart
• Acts 20:35 -Paul worked hard
• 1 Cor. 15:9-10 – No one worked harder than Paul
• 2 Cor. 8:16-17 -There is action and work indicated.
Feelings are not an indication of real love. We work on relationships to make them strong. This is self discipline.
A Heart from God
• 1 John 4:7-12 – God shows us the example of love in his Son.
—Robert Lee, 7-29-07, a.m.