There are no earthly guarantees against death. Death is the only certainty for the human body. Winter has been seen as a season of death. The ancient Celts celebrated “Samhain” on October 31. The people thought they could be possessed by dead evil spirits. They lived a hopeless life. Today we are able to physically protect ourselves from cold and dark, but we have the lingering difficulty of death. Amazingly, today, we have the hope brought by Jesus Christ.
Freedom from Fear of Death
- Heb. 2:14- Because Christ left heaven and became flesh and blood and died and was raised we live in hope. Jesus defeated death.
- Col. 2:11-14 – An uncircumcised person was dead spiritually and separated from God. Jesus made the way to God available to all people. We are made alive spiritually by baptism. The old law no longer condemns us. An immersion baptism simulates our death to the old life and our birth to a new spiritual life with God.
Christ Gives Abundant Life
- John 10:9-11 – Jesus is the door that allows us to go in and experience life with God. The devil wants us spiritually dead, but Jesus came to defeat Satan and give us life.
- 2 Cor. 4:5-12 – Physical death always works on us, but Jesus has given us spiritual life. Jesus’ death has given us Spiritual life. This is our hope.
- Eph. 4:11-16 – He gave all that the saints need to build the body of Christ. Christ is the head and we are the parts that are building ourselves up in love. The Church is alive because of Christ.
- Gal. 5:22-23 – The fruit of the Spirit is the evidence of n abundant life. This is the life humans are looking for. There are lots of people who live in fear, but with God’s Spirit inside we can live without fear and have life to the fullest.
We have a choice to make – life or death. We can choose comfort and peace from God.
- Deut. 30:15-20 -Moses said choose life by loving God.
Why be satisfied by fear? Take the message of God’s love and live.
–Robert Lee, 10-25-09, a.m.