Matthew 20:20-28; Mark 10:35-45
Sometimes an experience is worth the effort. Climbing higher can be very rewarding. Social climbing can be a negative experience. God has a way for us to become great.
Matthew 20:20-28- Two brothers want a position with Jesus’ kingdom. The request is made with faith and honor to Jesus.
The Failure of Human Agendas
- Proverbs 19:21 – God’s will prevails. In the story, Jesus says you don’t know what you asked for. God’s spiritual plans will last longer than any physical kingdom.
- Jeremiah 10:23-24 -Will we seek God’s plans? Will we seek ask God o correct our plans. Study God’s word.
Joining in Jesus Suffering
- Psalm 11:5-6- God will move against violence and wicked. The wicked drink God’s punishment. Jesus took this cup of suffering for our wickedness. Jesus in his story asks if these brothers are ready to drink a cup of suffering.
- Romans 8:16-17- As we drink the communion cup we are committing to join in Christ’s suffering.
- 2 Tim. 3:12- All are going to suffer for righteousness. The brothers in the story said they were ready for the cup.
- Acts 12:1-2 -James was put to death with a sword. He wad put to death on account if God. The clear call of God is to do what it takes to follow and serve God.
Jesus Honest Humility
- Matt. 24:36 (Mark 13:32, Acts 1:7) -Jesus was clear that the positions in his kingdom were not his to give. Jesus gave up things that he knew in heaven when he came to earth. If Jesus was humble how can we be any other way?
- Hebrews 2:6-17 – Jesus was humbled and then exalted. Jesus is merciful and our high priest. Jesus is our example of humility, love, and service.
Jesus’ Call to Service
Human’s exercise of power can be brutal and violent. Jesus said in the story that he came to serve and give his life for many. Jesus has a crown of thorns and a heart of service.
- Vs. 26 -wishing to become great
- Vs. 27 -wishing to be first
- Jesus wants us to be great servants and first to serve
- Romans 12:10 -Give preference to others and serve in love and respect.
—Robert Lee, 1-13-08, a.m.