What comes to mind when you hear, What is something that you are “always” doing? Breathing, eating, hurting, other things?
Always Giving Thanks
- Eph. 5:20 – Paul says we should always thank God for all things.
- Phil. 4:6 – Let your requests be known to God after giving thanks for all things.
Giving thanks in everything is challenging. We can be thankful when we get our way or everything is going well in our lives. Can we give thanks in difficult circumstances?
The Reality of Evil in this World
- Proverbs 1-7 -This is an explanation of the world and why we need the wisdom of God.
- Prov. 1:1-16 – There is a distinction between good and evil in the world. Teach young people to rely on God.
- Prov. 5:1-4 – Evil is enticing and unreliable
We can experience suffering even when we are faithful.
- Matt. 26:41 -Keep watching and praying that you don’t enter into temptation. Our greatest danger is that evil will enter into us and we will be separated from our source of help, God. We become disfigured physically by living. We need to become spiritually beautiful because that is the beauty that lasts.
The Power of True Love is the Power of God’s Love
We can recover from evil in our lives by experiencing God’s love.
- Matt. 5:43-48 -The pure love we experience comes from God.
- 1 John 4:7-8 -God is Love
- Luke 23:34 – Jesus asked God to forgive
- Matt. 6:14-15 -Forgive others so you can heal from anger, bitterness, and resentfulness. Forgiveness gives you freedom and hope.
The Hopefulness of Thankfulness
Good can come from any experience even encounters with evil.
- Psalm 138:1-8 – David says that he will give thanks to God in all circumstances because he saves us.
- 1 Cor. 15:50-57 -The hope for us that God will save and resurrect us.
- 2 Cor. 4 7-9 – We are thankful for God’s goodness.
–Robert Lee, 11-22-09, a.m.