Words have a potential for good or harm. Words have power.
Respecting God and Others
- James 5:8-12 – Good words or bad words can come from the same mouth, but it shouldn’t be. If we praise God, but we say hurtful negative things to people we are undermining our praise.
- James 4:11-12 – If we say judgments against people we are taking God’s role.
- John 25:21 – If we speak against one of God’s people we are speaking against God.
Putting Away Negative Talk
- Psalm 15:1-3 – Don’t slander others. Always check your motivations for what you say.
- Romans 14:13 – Respect others and work toward Christian unity.
- Eph. 4:31-32 – Get rid of negative attitudes that cause negative speech.
- Titus 3:1-2 – Don’t Speak evil against anyone.
- James 1:26 – Bridle your tongue or your religion is worthless.
- James 5:9 – Leave judging to God.
- 1 Peter 2:1 – Put aside all malice and slander from our lives. We have to get out the old ways before we can do things Gods way.
- Col. 4:6 -Express God’s grace to everyone. God has forgiven you so you should give that to others.
- Matt. 7:12 -Treat others the way you want to be treated.
Robert Lee, 5-2-10, p.m.