How much desire does it take to reach a long term goal? God desires to be close to us and he is committed to drawing us close. The human part of Jesus struggled with his commitment to sacrificing himself for us. He was victorious in carrying out God’s desires. What does it take for us to be victorious.
Our Need for God
- Romans 1:21-26 – When God calls us we often fight to go our own way. God gives us free will.
- 1 Thess. 4:3-5 – God wants us to be set apart and to keep our desires in check. Without God we go our own way.
- 1 Peter 2:9-12- All of have the potential to try to live without God – to try to depend on ourselves. Live on the highest moral level to avoid corruption.
The Power of Christ
- Romans 7:7-8 – The law is perfect at pointing out the things that are wrong in our lives. The law can’t help us change our desires.
- Rom. 13:8-14 – God sent his Son, out of love, to help us change the things the law points out that are wrong. Christ does what the law could not do. He changes our desires for wrong things.
- Eph. 4:20-24 – The old person was ruled by deceitful desires, but Jesus heals us.
The Spirit over the Flesh
- Gal. 5:16-26- The law could not move in and rule within us, but the Holy Spirit can. We must commit our lives through Christ and allow the Spirit to live within us and produce the good fruits of righteousness. The fleshly desires have been put to death.
—Robert Lee, 8-17-08, p.m.