Right now what do you want? How we answer this question is a window to our hearts. David wanted something so much that he took it.
King David and Bathsheba
- 2 Samuel 11:1-12:25 – David sinned by not reigning in his own desires. David suffered the consequences of his wrong doings.
Our Desires Affect Everything
- James 1:2-4 -Facing Life’s Trials
- James 1:12-18 – People are blessed by trials in their lives. We can be carried away by our own lusts and desires. We need to tame our desires and not give up when trial come.
- V. 12 -Love and desire cannot be separated. You want to be with who or what we love.
- V. 13-16 -Every sin comes from desire. Our desires overpower and deceive us.
- V. 17-18 -God’s desire is for us. We are the best to God. God selected us.
- James 4:1-4 Desire and Conflicts- We become enemies of God when we have desires that aren’t God’s desires for us.
Good and Necessary Desires
- Luke 15:14-16- We need to eat to keep our physical bodies alive.
- Luke 16:19-21 -We desire to eat.
- Matt. 13:17 – Many people have spiritual desires. We have the whole of Gods plan let’s value this great spiritual blessing.
- 1 Thess. 2:17 -These people desired to see their brothers and sisters in Christ.
Dangerously Evil Desires
- 1 Cor. 10:5-13 – Be serious about your life. God is faithful and he will see us through. If our struggles drive us toward God they can be to our benefit.
- Titus 3:3 -There is no worse prison than our own desires.
- 1 Peter 4:3-5 -We have people who seek to push us back to our old desires. We are accountable for our own chooses.
- Jude 1:16-18 -The crowd will always follow their own lusts and call us to do the same. These are people who are arrogant. We need to humble ourselves before God.
Overcoming Evil Desired
- Romans 6:12 -Don’t let sin reign. Seek God’s help.
- 2 Tim. 2:22 -Flee from youthful lusts. Don’t let sin fool you.
- 1 Peter 1:13-16 -Be obedient and holy. Prepare yourself and follow God’s authority and rules. Work hard to follow God.
- Rev. 18:14 – Do not end up empty. The things of this world are fleeting. Fill up with God’s Spirit.
—Robert Lee, 8-17-08, a.m.