James continues his discussion on drawing near to God.
Submit to God
- James 4:7 – Let God lead you.
- Deut. 10:14-16 – A call on the people to not be stubborn. Allow God to direct your life.
- 2 Chron. 30:8-9 – Don’t have a hardened attitude toward God.
- Heb. 12:9 – God disciplines us out of love for us. Yielding to God brings blessings. Respect God’s authority. If we hold back from God we cheat ourselves.
Resist the Devil
- James 4:7 – Put up a fight against the devil so that you can draw near to God.
- John 14:30 – God’s power is there for us.
- Eph. 6:11 – Put on your spiritual armor.
- 1 Peter 5:8-10 – Use God’s power to resist.
Draw Near to God
- James 4:8 – We can make a choice about having a relationship with God.
- Ex. 19:22 – God told the priest to come near to God. What the priests were called to do now all Christians are called to.
- Heb. 4:16, 7:19 – We are called to draw near to God.
Become Clean from Sinfulness
- James 4:8-9 – God wants us to deal with sin in our lives.
- Ex. 30:19-21 – The priests washed to serve God. We need to be pure before God.
- Psalm 24:3-4 – He who can stand is one who has clean hands.
- 2 Cor. 7:1 – The outer washing is symbolic of our inner cleansing.
- Matt. 5:4 -Jesus says when we mourn over sin we will be comforted. We need to be sorrowful about the sin in our lives so that we can experience the relief and joy that forgiveness brings.
Humble Yourselves before God
- James 4:10 -Tell God what is really in your heart.
- Matt. 23:1-2 – These people wanted to be honored.
- Luke 9:46-48 -The disciples were arguing about who was he most important.
- Luke 14:711 – Wait to be honored.
- Luke 22:24-27 – Even at the end the disciples were arguing about who was the greatest.
- 1 Peter 5:6 -God will lift us up.
–Robert Lee, 4-11-10, p.m.