We are blessed to be living in this age of covenant with God. How would you assess the current moral state of America? People have different views. Some think that we have thrown off the bonds of a puritanical society. Some see that we need to walk closer to God as a nation. In the Bible, James talks about the conflicts of society.
Dealing with Our Desires
- James 4:1-2 – Pleasures – we seek, Lusts- we want, Envy – we don’t have.
- Col. 3:5-7 – There are desires that we should not fulfill. We need to have self discipline.
- 1 Tim. 6:17 – God supplies things to enjoy. We need to distinguish what is good and what is evil.
- Heb. 5:14 – Understand and choose between good desires and evil desires.
Failure in Prayer
- James 4:2-3 – Ask God for your needs. Pray.
- Luke 18:1-8 – Widow keeps asking. If we can get blessings from people by asking, how much more will God give us when he wants to bless us?
- Eph. 6:18, 1Thess. 5:17 – Pray always.
- 1 Chron. 28:9 – Have good motivations in prayer. God knows why we are praying.
- Prov. 16:2 -The Lord knows the motivations of the man’s heart.
- Luke 15:13-14 -The son spent everything on things that he couldn’t get at home. He suffered the consequences.
- 1 Cor. 4:5 – God will judge our motives.
Choosing God, Not the World
- James 4:4 – When our goals are misplaced we are unfaithful to God. If you are a true friend of the world you are hostile to the God who made and sustains you.
- John 17:25 – “The world” stands for living without God.
- Matt. 6:24 -You can’t serve both the physical equally with the spiritual.
- Rom. 8:7, 1 John 2:15-17 – You can’t Love God and the physical equally.
- Gal. 6:14 -Our goal is to live for God.
God’s Grace Toward Us
- James 4:5-6 – God wants us to be fully committed to him. God gives us grace when we fail.
- John 1:16 – We receive all the grace we need from God.
- James 2:13 – Mercy triumphs over judgment. God wants us. We don’t owe God more than we can afford. God bails us out every time with His grace.
–Robert Lee, 4-11-10, a.m.