How dangerous is the current flu outbreak? It is unknown the problems that will erupt. However, there is a far more dangerous plague in the world today – sin. Sin can damage people and families far more than a physical illness. When you consider any tragic incident in human history, the power of human sin is evident. God breaks the power of cancelled sin and sets the prisoner free.
- Rom. 1:16-17 -The Gospel Saves from Spiritual Disease
- Rom. 3:9-12 -The Universal Problem of Sin -no one is exempt
- Rom. 3:19-4:25, 3:21-28 -We do not control the cure – our salvation is the free gift of God. Jesus is the great physician. Rom. 4:18-24 – God promised Abraham a son and he had faith that God would deliver. If we have faith we can have righteousness.
- Rom. 5:21:21- What is the source of today’s flu epidemic? Did it start with one person? Source of sin/source of cure – Rom. 5:18-19 -Adam and Eve brought sin into the world. Jesus is the cure.
- Rom. 6:1-23 -Freed from Sickness to Grow in wellness – Rom. 6:4-7 -Baptism is an outward action to show the power of the spiritual work God is doing in people’s life. Rom. 6:17-19 -Don’t be a slave of sin, but be a slave of righteousness. Be free from sin don’t let sin hold you in old patterns. Live as if you believe you are free from sin.
- Rom. 7:1-25, 7:7-13 What doesn’t Work to Get Well – Some things don’t work against physical illness and there are things that don’t work on sin. – Don’t depend on rules to save you. You can never keep the rules perfectly. The law points out sin, but can’t take it away. All we have us guilt and anxiety.
- Rom. 8:1-30, 8-1-4, 8:12-17 Healing Power -We are God’s children and we receive his help in our spiritual growth. God as given us his Holy Spirit
- Rom. 8:31-39 We have the perfect doctor. God wants to cure us and he loves us.
- Rom. 9:1-11:36 -A need for humility. Rom. 10:1-4 -The Jews were not saved just because they were chosen. Everyone needs to recognize his own sin problem and deal with it individually. Our faith will make it happen.
- Rom. 12:1-15:13 -We know when we are well. When you have a well spiritual life we will show it in our actions. Our lives will tell the story of God’s love.
- Rom. 16:25-27 -Praise God for our salvation.
—Robert Lee, 5-3-09, a.m.