The Dangers of Selfishness
In today’s society greed is a problem.
The Community of Christians
- Acts 2:43-45- In contrast to the greedy society today, early Christians gave freely.
- Acts 4:32-37 – All were giving to those in need from the Christian community collection. These people had abundant grace and saw that people were more important than things. These people loved each other and gave out of that love.
- Acts 5:1-11 – Human nature is not easily changed. These people tried to look generous, but weren’t. Greed leads to other kinds of sins – lying, stealing, homicide. God is warning us as Christians that lying to God kills our souls.
Guarding Against Greed
- Luke 12:13-21 – This man wanted Jesus to make his inheritance right. Jesus says – Life doesn’t consist of your possessions. Jesus tells him to beware of his attitudes and guard against greed. Physical things can blind us to what’s important. Satan helps us to focus on money instead of what really brings peace and happiness.
- 1 Cor. 5:9-13 – Paul says that some things need to be dealt with in the Church. Covetousness can destroy the Church. We must deal with greedy attitudes.
- 2 Cor. 8:12-15 (Exodus 16:1-21) -God looks at the heart of people. Is the readiness to give in your heart? God loves a cheerful giver. There is no place in a godly community for a huge diversity in what people have. When there is need, Christians need to step in and help. God wants us to look at ourselves when it comes to greed. Where am I hoarding and being greedy?
- Phil. 4:11-13 -Paul had learned to live with a little and a lot. He learned how to rely on God.
- Heb. 13:5-6 – Trust God and you can live contentedly.
—Robert Lee, 9-28-08, a.m.