Praying Through Life’s Problems
Jacob wrestled with God to get a blessing as recorded in Gen. 32. Today we go through difficulties that cause us to struggle with our faith in God. Today we have the example of Jesus struggling in prayer in the garden.
Jesus in Gethsemane
- Matt. 26:36-46, Mark 14:32-42, Luke 22:40-46 – Jesus was grieved in his soul to death.
- He was conflicted in his spirit. Jesus came from the perfect environment of Heaven and he controlled the earthly elements.
- Why and How did he suffer?
- How can we say to God you don’t know how I’ve suffered? If I can draw near to Jesus’ humanness I can understand myself better.
- John 12:27-33 – Jesus knew why he came to earth. He knew what he would face.
- Hebrews 5:7-9 – Jesus prayed with tears and cries to God. In the time of greatest pain Jesus went to pray. Pray is the lifeline to God. This will carry us through our pain. Jesus pain and prayers were heard by God. He fulfilled his mission.
- 2 Cor. 12:7-10 – Paul prayed three times about his thorn in the flesh. Was he following Jesus example in praying three times in Gethsemane? Paul learned to be content with his circumstances. When we have struggles, we can pray through our problems and pain. We need to hold on to our faith.
Praying in Hard Times
- Phil. 4:6-13- Paul had contentment and confidence in all circumstances.
- Luke 18:1, 8 – Pray without loosing heart. Hang on to your faith.
- Eph. 6:18-19 – Once you are ready for spiritual battle pray first.
- James 5:13- If you are suffering pray.
–Robert Lee, 8-16-09