Can Winners Be Humble?
The Medal Count – Why do we feel the need to compete with one another? Why is winning so important? Does winning more gold makes us better? Would Jesus associate with the winners or with the losers?
The Necessity of Being Humble
- Psalm 138:6 – God is distant from the proud
- Prov. 3:34- God gives grace to the humble
- Matt. 23:12 -God exalts the humble. The proud will be brought down.
- 1 Peter 5:1-7 – Clothe yourself with humility. Have the faith that submitting yourself to God you will be lifted up.
Humility and Relying on God
- Acts 14:3 -These men were preaching because of their reliance on God.
- 1 Cor. 15:10 -Paul understood that his abilities to preach came from God.
- Eph. 6:18-20 -Paul needed prayer to proclaim the gospel. He recognized God’s help was his strength.
- 1 Thess. 2:1-4 -Paul had boldness because of God.
Are you really relying on God? Do you know where your strength comes from? Are you learning to lean on God?
Humility and Confidence
- Acts 4:31 – They spoke the Word with boldness.
- Acts 9:26-28 – Paul was transformed by God’s Holy Spirit to speak with confidence.
- 2 Cor. 3:10-13 – Paul says that the boldness of his preaching was a sign that God was in his message.
- Eph. 3:11-12 -The boldness comes from God. Be bold for God.
—Robert Lee, 8-24-08, p.m.