Competition among the Apostles
- Luke 9:46-48 – The least among you will be greatest. People are very competitive. Being humble is the way to greatness.
- Luke 22:24-27 – The apostles are busy worrying about their positions.
- John 13:1-17 – This example was given to his follows because they didn’t understand the true structure and mission of the kingdom.
Motivated by Love
- John 3:16 – God loves the world. Jesus wasn’t just a teacher giving a lesson, he served out of love.
- John 13:34-35 – Love should be our motivation when we serve others. Ask God to help us with our attitude. Any task done with the right attitude can be a work of service.
A God-Given Identity
- John 13:3 – Jesus knew he was. Washing someone’s feet would damage his view of himself.
- Romans 1:1, 6- Paul took on the role of a slave to Christ. When we know our identity in Christ, we can have the self confidence to do any task given us by the Lord.
- Galatians 4:4-7 -We are Children of God.
- Ephesians 5:25-27 -We are the Bride of Christ.
Learning to Receive
- John 13:6-8 -Peter didn’t want Jesus to was his feet. Jesus says he must be willing to receive the lesson of humility and love. Are we willing to receive Jesus’ lessons? Will we receive Jesus’ washing of our souls?
- Eph. 3:8 – Are we resisting what God wants to give us?
- Rev.3:18 – Have the attitude of openness towards God.
Blessed by Doing
- John 13:12-17 – Will we be blessed by serving others?
- Matt. 7:24-25 -Act on Jesus’ teachings.
- James 1:22-25 -Do the deeds of service that you think about and you will be blessed.
—Robert Lee, 1-20-08, a.m.