The Importance of Growing Spiritually
Many churches across the country have grown to mega size. One of these churches surveyed their members and attendees and found four categories-unbelievers, new believers, growing believers, and mature believers. The question was “How is the church doing in meeting your needs?” The first two groups said the church was meeting their needs, but the other two groups said they felt stagnant. This survey and book is called “Reveal”.
The Danger of Self-Deceit
- Rev. 3:17-19- Jesus said that this church did not know how they were needy
- James 1:22, 26 -Be doers of the word, not just hearers. Don’t deceive your own heart about your spirituality.
- Gal. 6:3 – If you think you are something and really you haven’t grown spiritually, you deceive yourself. 1 Cor. 3:18
What is Christian Maturity?
- Matt. 5:48 -be perfect
- Matt. 22:34-40 -Love God and Your Neighbor
- 1 Cor. 2:16 – Have the Mind of Christ
- 2 Cor. 3:18 -Become like Christ
- Eph. 5:18 -Be filled with the Spirit
The Need to Grow
- 1 Cor. 3:1-4- These behaviors were not strong in the Lord. Paul tells them to grow in the Lord.
- 2 Cor. 13:11 -Be complete.
- Heb. 5:11-14 – Grow spiritually as a humans grow to physical adulthood. Grow to be able to share the word with others.
What Should We Do?
- Rev. 3:20 -Relationship with Christ. Jesus wants to have a place in our lives at all levels. Jesus will come in and help in all situations.
- Rev. 3:21 – Overcome sin. We need challenges in our lives in order to grow. God will help us to overcome and grow
- Rev. 3:22 -Hear the word of God.
—Robert Lee, 6-8-08, p.m.