God wants his people to have access to him.
The High Priest in the Old Testament
• Exodus 29:1-9 -Aaron and his family are set by God to act as priest. This is an important position. There was a special ceremony to set them apart, special garments for them to wear, special activities, and special regulations. Exodus 29:1-9, 29:29-30, Lev. 16:1-34, 21:10-15, Numbers 20:23-29 God himself ordained Aaron’s successor. The high priest continued for generations.
• Luke 3:1-2 – This is the time of Annas and Caiphas as high priests in Jesus age. The representatives of the very high priesthood originally ordained by God, condemned Jesus. Matt. 26:57-58, John 11:47-53, 15:12-14, 19, 24, 28
• Acts 4:5-6 -There was a high priest family.
Jesus Christ as Our High Priest
• Hebrews 1:1-4 -Glory of Jesus
• Hebrews 2:14-3:6 -Jesus became human
• Hebrews 4:14-5:10 -Sympathy of Jesus. Jesus physical lineage was not from Aaron. He was from Judah, the Kings.
• Heb. 6:19-8:6 –He was from the order of Melchizedek. (Genesis 14:17-24) Jesus is forever.
• Heb. 9:11-14 -Christ’s blood in heaven. Christ was the perfect sacrifice. Heb. 9:23-26
• Heb. 10:11-14- Christ is at the right hand of God
• Heb. 10:19 -Our confidence because of Christ. God has given his son so we can have access.
—Robert Lee, 8-19-07, p.m.