God knows all about his people. He watches over us and judges our actions.
Examples in the Book of Acts
- Acts 6:1-7 -Overseeing food distribution. This church was experiencing diversity of culture and background which caused a problem. This problem needed to be dealt with. The congregation was lead to solve the problem without neglecting the Word of God. The people chosen to lead were committed to the word and they were chosen by the congregation. The qualities they had were to be of good reputation (moral), full of the Spirit (spiritual), and to be full of wisdom (practical). The congregation brought these people to the apostles who lay on their hands.
- Acts 14:21-23 -Appointing elders was essential to keep the Church going forward. These people were appointed after prayer and fasting.
Qualities of Elders and Deacons
- 1 Tim. 3:1-13 – The first quality of a leader is to want to do the job for good of the kingdom. A leader must have these qualities. How close are you to meeting these qualities? These qualifications are what it looks like to be moral, spiritual, and practically wise. Putting this in practice today is challenging.
- Titus 1:5 – Elders must be above reproach and hold fast the word. This is not a check list when appointing leaders. Leaders must demonstrate wisdom and be full of the Spirit.
- Titus 2:3-5 -Must have a good reputation, must be wise, and full of the Spirit
- 1 Tim. 5:5, 9-10 – Women pray night and day. A woman at this stage of life is a spiritual powerhouse.
- 1 Tim. 1:5 -The goal is love
All Christians should be striving to achieve the qualities of Christian leaders.
–Robert Lee, 1-24-10, a.m.