The Kingdom is like
- Matt 13:44 – A Treasure, 45: -A Pearl These treasures were worth more than anything they had ever owned
- Mark 10: 17- The rich young ruler asked what should I do? Jesus said you lack one thing. Jesus wanted him to be completely mature.
What does it mean to sell evrything? 1 Tim. 6:17-19
- Maturity means to balance our material goods.
- Don’t put your hope in material things.
- Lay up a treasure in heaven Put things out of your heart that cause you to not love God.
The rich young man.
- Matt. 10:23-25 -Look to God for help. Put your trust in God.
- Jesus wants us to be serious about our dsciplship.
- Eph. 2:8-10 -We are saved by grace and we are created to do good works.
- Selling his goods wouldn’t save him, but he would be saved by grace to dogood works thru God.
- Christians can only do what they are made for thru God.
- We must be radically changed by God. Jesus is encouraging a change down to the very heart of this rich young ruler.
Examples from Isreal
- Sacrifice the best
- Stop and honor God once a week
- Sending a young boy to battle a giant is impractical, but this shows God is in conntrol
- Judges 7:2 – God required the people to trust in him
Just like Isreal we are called to live a different life than those around us. Don’t count on our wealth to save us.
- Heb. 11 – This is the story of many heros of faith. God rewards those who seek him. Moses was willing to trade his earthly treasures to be a child of God.
- God calls us to him and wants to help us Matt. 11:28-30
- Psalm 119:32 -God has set our hearts free. Our burdens are lifted.
- God wants us to freely serve him.
- John 14: -God has given us the Holy Spirit of truth to counsel us.
- John 16:5-16 – When Jesus left the counselor came to comfort us.
- 2 Cor. 5:16 -We are a new ceation.
Trust God to make us a new creation of us. God gives grace to the humble. He is the God of second chances. The scriptures are full of people who changed.
- Mark 10:28-31 – Peter says we left everything to follow Jesus. Jesus promises that people who follow him will receive much greater blessings than they can imagine.
Was it worth it for Peter?
- Acts 3:1-13 – Peter healed the crippled beggar. He didn’t have money, but he shared the treasure of Jesus’ healing
- 1 Peter 1:7 – Faith is greater worth than gold
- 1 Peter 1:18 -The blood of Christ is far more valuable than gold. The word is more valuable.
—Robert Lee, 3-29-09, a.m.