We see in sports that teams do better when the members cheer one another on. When an individual experiences encouragement for positive actions these actions are more likely to be repeated.
The Power of the Tongue
- Prov. 12:18- we can choose to hurt or heal with our words
- Matt. 14:25-27 – Jesus tells them to take courage
- Acts 28:15 – Paul thanked God for other’s words and actions
The Effects of Encouragement
- Acts 14:21-22 – Paul and Barnabus strengthened these new Christians
- Heb. 3:13 – Encourage one another constantly. Sin hardens us so we need constant encouragement to erase sin in our lives.
- Heb. 10:23-25 – Don’t neglect encouragement of one another.
Encouragement and Building Up
- Rom. 14:19 – We must be constant
- 2 Cor. 13:10 – Paul knew he had a choice in whether to build up or tear down. His role was to build up for God.
- Eph. 4:11-16- We all have a role to fill in God’s church.
- 1 Thess. 5:11-15 – Build up one another.
Encouragement and Love
- Phil. 2:1-2 – We share love with the brothers and we therefore want to encourage.
- Col. 2:1-2a – Hearts that are encouraged are knit together in love.
- 1 Thess. 2:8-12 – Paul expresses his deep love for these people.
—Robert Lee, 9-21-08, p.m.