We live in a changing world. Why then is it hard for us to change and accept change?
Change is Necessary
- Repentance -Matt. 4:17, Luke 13:1-5 These verses talk about how people need to change. Another example of change is Saul to the apostle Paul
- Growth – 1 Peter 2:2 – To grow a person must change. We must grow spiritually. – 2Peter 3:18
What Keeps us from Changing?
- Fear- We are secure where we are and fear moving on. Mark 5:36 -Believe in God and you can overcome fear
- Stubbornness – Romans 2:4-8 God’s goodness is meant to bring change. Obedience leads us to life.
- Hopelessness – Our hope is in Jesus Christ. Romans 15:13
- Satisfaction – We can’t allow contentment from spiritual change. 2 Cor 5:9 -we want to please God. Let God lead you spiritually.
- Selfishness – Will you change on behalf of someone else? Phil. 2:3-4 – Regard others as more important than yourself.
- Denial – We sometimes refuse to see the changes we need to make. God uses people and the Spirit to help us see the changes we need to make. James 1:23-24
- Inflexibility – We might see a different way to do something. 1 Peter 5:6 – Be open to God
- Ignorance – Sometimes we don’t change because we think we don’t need to learn. 2 Peter 1:2-3 – Have true knowledge of God.
- Laziness – Change is work. 2 Peter 1:5 – Be diligent.
- Impatience – Change can take a long time. Psalm 37:9 -Wait for the Lord.
God Helps Us To Change
- 1 Cor. 36-7 – God causes spiritual growth Col. 2:19
—Robert Lee, 10-5-08, a.m.