This past week was the twentieth anniversary of the breaking down of the Berlin Wall. This wall separated in a physical way the differing thoughts on how to govern people. The communists believed in telling people how to live and what to have and the other side believed in more of a personal freedom approach. When the wall was broken down, people were joyful because of the freedom it gave to all.
Gentiles Under the Old Testament Law
- Eph. 2:11-12 – The Jews had a way to live with God but the Gentiles did not. The Gentiles were without God. There was a spiritual wall between them and God and the Jews had made the “wall” thicker than God had ever intended.
- Eph. 4:17-19 – Rom. 1:21-32, 8:15- The Gentiles were living in slavery to sin. When we live in sin, we are behind the spiritual wall
Law Fulfilled in the Spirit
- Rom. 7:1-6. Gal. 2:19, 5:18, Col. 2:13-17- Christians are no longer bound by the law, but are now living free in the Spirit. The law oppresses because there is no way to deal with the mistakes, but the living by the Spirit gives us a way to deal with our sins.
- Eph. 2:13-22 -We are now near to God because of Jesus sacrifice. The cross broke down the wall that separates us from God.
We need to appreciate the privilege of living in the grace that God has given us.
The Spirit Brings Freedom
- Acts 15:6-1, 2 Cor. 3:1-18, Gal. 5:1-15 – Here are examples of resisting falling back into a system of legalism. We are all free to live by the Spirit.
–Robert Lee, 11-15-09, a.m.